Monday, January 28, 2013

Honoré de Balzac - Eugénie Grandet

"Another worthless, boring classic with all the minuses the classics have, and much more. I've read half of it."


"I have no idea, whatsoever, why would anyone read a whole book about an old guy being a dick(or another horrible story about 'innocent love', or 18th century 'business' and little tricks described in so much detail), and can't even start listing why it's a piece of crap. That would take, way too much time."


"I just thought either the way people in 18th century thought was too simple or the way we think is too complicated, because the characters happened to seem so predictable too me."


"This is my number 1 book for the Oscar 'Book to be avoided no matter what'."


"This is not great literature because it is out of date. It has nothing to say of relevance today"


"Balzac's Eugenie Grandet cannot be spoiled, but the copy that I am reviewing is utterly spoiled by putting a womans's name on the cover"


"how the topic overshades art!!
This book is a typical 19th century novel where the author writes how the cruelty of the system, the establishment and men in general, destroys the lifes of the idolized women. This book should have containd enought pathos to fill Balzac`s chest, but i`m afraid it did not, so I will restrain myself and others from reading further novels of such overdramatic, oversimplistic writing. Pardon me!"


"would it be published today?
Excessively long descriptive passages ... A famous novel is not always a great read."

No comments:

Post a Comment